DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
Vacancy Announcement Number: WTHG11778744
Opening Date: January 19, 2011 Closing Date: February 01, 2011
Position: PARK RANGER, GS-0025-05
Salary: $31,315 - $40,706 Annual
Place of Work: US Army Engineer District, Walla Walla, Operations Division,
Dworshak Project, Ahsahka, ID
Position Status: Seasonal non-duty non-pay status: From Nov to March
Number of Vacancy: 1
Duties: Assist with one or more program areas: recreation management, natural
resources management, visitor assistance and interpretation. Provide for the
safety of the visiting public, Corps personnel and contractors. Answer
questions requiring knowledge of a variety of facts, events, rules,
regulations and the parks natural characteristics. Patrol recreation areas
explaining fire, safety, sanitary and other regulations. Enforce the project
policies, rules, regulations by issuing warnings for visitor violations.
Respond to emergency calls and takes necessary action to preserve the peace,
to resolve problems and to protect visitors and the recreational facility.
Inspect picnic areas, buildings, trails, roads and parking areas; monitor
visitor use. Administer assigned contracts by checking progress and
completion of work, noting contractor?s deficiencies, etc. Research, develop
and present limited interpretive programs. Use a personal computer to store,
retrieve, compile and transmit data.
About the Position:
* This position is SEASONAL, with projected work to be from
approximately March through October of each year. Incumbent will be placed on
leave without pay when not working in the winter, and return to work the
* Regular tour of duty will include nights, weekends and holidays.
* This position is located at Dworshak Dam and Reservoir, a
multi-purpose hydropower project, with missions that include operation and
maintenance of the facility for flood control, hydroelectric power
generation, recreation and natural resources management. Dworshak Project has
approximately 50 employees.
Who May Apply: <https://vabselfnom.cpol.army.mil/forward/VAB?id=whoMayApply>
(Click on Who May Apply)
* All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional
* Reinstatement eligibles.
* NAF/AAFES Interchange Agreement eligibles.
* Applicants eligible under Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of
* Veterans eligible as 30% Disabled Veterans.
* Veterans' Recruitment Authority (VRA).
* Employment Program for People with Disabilities eligibles.
* Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligibles.
* Family member employees eligible under Executive Order 12721.
* Permanent excepted service employees to the extent permitted by their
* DoD Interchange Agreement eligibles.
* Defense Homeland Security, Transportation Security Administration
* Military spouses eligible under EO 13473.
Qualifications: Click on link below to view qualification standard.
* SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Candidates resume must identify one year of
specialized experience and training that provided experience in technical,
administrative, or scientific work, fish and wildlife management, recreation
management, law enforcement, or other park-related work.
* SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Required to wear uniform prescribed by
regulation. A valid state driver's license is required. Required to work in
adverse weather conditions (e.g., heat, cold, rain, snow, wind, etc.) Able to
work nights, weekends and/or holidays depending on the needs of the project.
Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. Able to climb steep mountainous terrain
on loose soils. Required to receive a minimum of 24 hours of personal
protection/unarmed self defense, situational evaluation and tactical
communication training within two years of employment. Must possess or be
able to acquire first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation and blood-borne
pathogen training within first season of employment.
* GS-05: One year of experience directly related to this occupation
equivalent to the next lower grade level, or a 4 year course of study above
the high school level leading to a bachelor's degree with courses related to
this occupation, or a combination of experience and education.
* The experience described in your resume will be evaluated and
screened for the Office of Personnel Management's basic qualifications
requirements, and the skills needed to perform the duties of this position as
described in this vacancy announcement.
* Education can be substituted for experience. Review the qualification
requirements for specific information.
* One year of experience in the same or similar work equivalent to at
least the next lower grade or level requiring application of the knowledge,
skills, and abilities of the position being filled.
* Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by
the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education
requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional
information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S.
Department of Education websites at - http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and
* On your resume, please include college/university, dates attended,
degree achieved, semester hours earned, GPA, major field of study, 24
semester hours of specific courses and course hours in your major. Failure to
provide this education information on your resume may result in an ineligible
* Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to
be considered for this position. Please include this information in your
<https://vabselfnom.cpol.army.mil/forward/VAB?id=otherInformation> (Click on
* To successfully claim veteran's preference, your resume/supplemental
data must clearly show your entitlement. Please review the information listed
under the Other Requirements link on this announcement or review our on-line
Job Application Kit.
* Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of
Defense referral system for displaced employees.
* The Department of Defense (DoD) policy on employment of annuitants
will be used in determining eligibility of annuitants. The DoD policy is
* Schedule tour of duty will require evenings, weekends and holiday
* Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
* In accordance with section 9902(h) of title 5, United States Code,
annuitants reemployed in the Department of Defense shall receive full annuity
and salary upon appointment. They shall not be eligible for retirement
contributions, participation in the Thrift Savings Plan, or a supplemental or
redetermined annuity for the reemployment period. Discontinued service
retirement annuitants (i.e., retired under section 8336(d)(1) or
8414(b)(1)(A) of title 5, United States Code) appointed to the Department of
Defense may elect to be subject to retirement provisions of the new
appointment as appropriate. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at
* Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized,
based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
* Temporary Duty (TDY) travel is 5 percent.
Other Advantages: Dworshak Dam and Reservoir, found in North Central Idaho
along the North Fork of the Clearwater River, is located in scenic forested
and mountainous country. Orofino, ID is located seven miles from the dam and
has a population of approximately 4,000 and is at an elevation of 1,025 feet.
With an average temperature of 29 degrees in January and 73 degrees in July,
Orofino is known for it mild weather and long growing season. Additional info
on Orofino and the area may be found at www.orofino.com.
<https://vabselfnom.cpol.army.mil/forward/VAB?id=otherRequirements> (Click on
* Personnel security investigation required.
* A medical examination is required.
* Must possess and maintain a valid stateside driver's license.
* You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
* If selected, official college or university transcript must be
* Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a
Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
* Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
* Position requires employee to wear a uniform and/or protective
* Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid experience or volunteer
* Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in the
vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the
* One year trial/probationary period may be required.
How to Apply:
mix> (Click on How to Apply)
* Resumes must be received by the closing date of this announcement.
* Self-nomination must be submitted by the closing date. Applicants
wishing to withdraw from consideration may contact the Central Resume
Processing Center at (410) 306- 0137 or email@example.com.
* Resume must be on file in our centralized database.
* Announcements close at 12:00am (midnight) Eastern Time.
If your resume is currently in our central database, you may click here to
4&position=PARK RANGER, GS-0025-05&payPlan=GS&series=0025&grade=05>
Click here to use the Army Resume Builder
<https://vabselfnom.cpol.army.mil/forward/VAB?id=rb> to create your resume.
Follow the instructions in this vacancy announcement to apply for the job.
Point of Contact: Central Resume Processing Center, 410-306-0137,
THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER